Thursday, September 10, 2015

Contrast, Balance & Harmony

This is a photograph I took of some caves on an island in Scotland where my family and I lived for a couple years.  I love this picture because of the overall Balance and Contrast, It is very pleasing and calming for me to stare at this photo.  Overall this photo is very balanced, it is as if there were an invisible diagonal line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner separating lighter rocks from the darker rocks, this gives the light/dark a very balanced feel.  Contrast is them seen through out the  photograph from the different shadows cast from the basalt rock columns.  All of the shapes of dark shadows are scattered through out the photo giving variety.  Each shadow is beautiful and unique.  The shapes of the basalt columns are all very similar and the flow of repetition throughout the photo in addition to the cool calming blues and greys leave me with a feeling peace and harmony.  Over all I like to think that the combination of contrast and balance and individual aspects of harmony contribute to an over all feeling of Harmony to the photograph.  

1 comment: